Monday, February 14, 2011

30 (Part 2)

Since today is Valentine's Day, it only seems fitting to share about how loved I felt on my birthday. If you'd like to read my favorite valentine ever, click here.

It all started when my family surprised me the day before (which was my dad's birthday)! I had just blogged about how I wasn't going to be able to spend the day with my dad on his birthday, and then they all showed up! It was so fun to celebrate my dad's birthday all together. It's a good thing he had some help with that candle!


If you ever want to know how to make me a happy girl, take me to a movie. So, when my brother Adam, who is notorious for loving his sleep, said that he'd go downtown to a late movie with me, I jumped on the chance. It was such a fun way to ring in my birthday.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my brother and we rarely get time that is just the two of us. I really enjoyed the movie and it seemed fitting that as the clock struck midnight, I was turning 30 while seeing "True Grit." I really regret not taking a picture of the two of us to remember that night. I hope I never forget it.

He doesn't know it yet, but brother and sister time is now a must every time we're together.

Me and my favorite ham bone


After sleeping in a little bit after the late movie, the texts, facebook messages and tweets started to come in wishing me "Happy Birthday!" It was also an absolutely gorgeous day outside. The skies were blue and the sun was shining. It was the kind of day that you would want for your wedding day weather! We all had a yummy lunch together at Grad School downtown.

Meila and my mom, who the girls call "Mimi Sue!"



Then just us girls went downtown to Elsie's shop for a little shopping. We had so much fun perusing through all the vintage goodness and homemade treats. Elsie sent us home with some of Emma's yummy cupcakes and oh my goodness...they were divine!

Amy finalizing her vintage dress decision. It is beautiful!


(There is a story that goes here in the timeline of my day that involves a strange man cussing me out and making me cry on my birthday, but I'll leave it out as to not taint the happiness of the day. He was mean. I cried. I moved on. The end.)

After a few more vintage and thrift shops, we went home to start getting ready for my birthday party! My dear friends, Mandy and her husband Bradley, hosted a birthday party complete with a tiara, Thai food and a travel theme! I've truly never felt so loved and special. They made sure to highlight my Charity:Water campaign too!

Here are a few pictures from the night~







My friend and neighbor, Chad Watson, shot some footage of the night and it turned into this:


At the end of the night, I went home with a swollen heart 30 times it's regular size. Thank you friends and family for loving me, believing in me, supporting me and spurring me on to be the woman God created me to be.

"Most of all, love each other as if your life depended on it. Love makes up for practically anything."
~1 Peter 4:8 (The Message)


Next up....Part 3....my "deep" thoughts on turning 30. You might want to wear a pair of galoshes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andrea, the picture of just you and Story is great! You are beautiful and that is one of your best pics! From a proud Dad

Amy Sue said...

Great party, Fabulous friends, Delicious food...
Worthy daughter!
love you...mom

Elizabeth said...

What a super fun party! I'm so happy for you that you had such a fun and special day... and am looking forward to reading part 3. :)