Saturday, January 15, 2011

Hello?

Ever since I returned from Nepal, 7 years ago (gulp), I've not been a big phone fan. I don't know what happened. Honestly, I wish I could figure it out.

It could be based on a number of factors really. When I was in Nepal, I rarely used a phone and I never used a cell phone. In fact, I didn't have a cell phone until about 5 years ago (and I'm still on my parent's family plan, sharing minutes with them). When I lived abroad, I loved/hated talking to my family and friends on the phone. I loved hearing their voices, but hated having to hang up. You have to remember that way back then, there was no Skype, iChat or Facebook to keep in touch. Phone calls from home were special, highly anticipated and even luxurious.

When I returned to the United States, everyone had a cell phone. All of a sudden, everyone could be reached anywhere at anytime. Initially I rejected the idea of a cell phone, convincing myself that I didn't need it wasn't difficult. Eventually I caved when I moved to Kansas City and my parents offered to put me on their plan. The price was a bargain and I felt safer having a cell with me.

Fast forward 5 years and I still have a love/hate relationship with my cell phone. Right now, it's the only phone I have. I don't have a home phone, so I need to have it. I don't know what it is, but I'm rarely in the mood to talk on the phone. I would much rather wait to tell you something in person.

Am I crazy to feel like our society has replaced real relationships and face to face conversations with cell phones, text messages, blogs and social media sites? I'm not saying I'm against those things, I text, Facebook, Twitter and you're obviously reading my blog....it's just those feelings of "I should answer" my cell each time it rings.... that self imposed weight that hangs over me when someone leaves a voicemail and I'm required to call them back and if I don't, I'm dissing them. Why is there so much power in a voicemail? "Call Me Back" has become a commandment!

I know I risk my phone NEVER ringing again by posting my thoughts like this, but in all actuality, I need your help! Help me get over my bad attitude over the phone. I'm turning 30 this week.....is this the first sign of crankiness? :) Is there a happy medium where cell phones, social media and true conversations can exist? If you've found that place, please call me and let me know!

2 comments:

Preston, Courtney and Callie said...

I am totally with you girl!!
I often wonder what I would do if we lived back in the States. I have a cell phone here but I can rarely find it, it never rings and I like it that way. It is only for emergencies. I feel like our cell phones are out of control and it seems a huge problem when people are sitting at lunch/dinner with people and they are looking down at their PHONE!!! P ran out of gas the other day and he walked to the nearest store and borrowed their phone and called me. You know, we use to live like that and we survived. It is a HUGE struggle for me. I am glad to see I am not the only one. Love ya!!! Thanks for listening :)

Andrea said...

Glad I'm not the only person that feels this way. You brought up another important topic....people using their phone instead of interacting with the world.

It is NOT uncommon for me to be the only one at a table or living room not looking down at my phone. It is so isolating and I can't help but laugh at it. I wonder if people realize how ridiculous it is? I would love to have a fancier phone, but I know that it would be a struggle not to succumb to the mobile internet!