Monday, November 01, 2010

Happy Birthday Rahul

For the last few years, I've heard a lot about Compassion International from Shaun, Carlos and Heather. But it wasn't until I saw this video, that I was fully convinced to sponsor a child with Compassion. I hope it breaks your heart in the way that it did mine....



One year later, Jimmy got to meet the little girl that he sponsors in Haiti.



There are a ton of organizations that make the claim that they are making a difference in the world. Some are, some are not.

The reason I chose Compassion, is because I felt that my money would actually break the cycle of poverty for a child. My dear friends Emily and Dusty were the first of my friends to sponsor. From that point on I began to pray about it and looking at my finances to see if I could swing it.

After a few months, I logged on to the Compassion website one night and signed up. I had the option to choose a child by gender, country, birth date, age range, special needs, affected by HIV/AIDS....

I'm warning you: Taking a look at the children who are waiting to be sponsored is so heartbreaking. I had no idea how I would ever choose.

I knew that God already had a child picked out for me and I trusted Him. So I chose the option to receive a packet for the next child who had been waiting the longest amount of time for a sponsor.

I was so anxious to see if I was getting a boy or a girl....
where were they from?
How old were they?

The packet finally came and I opened it up and saw Rahul's face.



I didn't even have to look at the country.
I knew he was from India and my heart leapt.



Rahul was born on this day, 11 years ago.

Happy Birthday Rahul!



My favorite part of the picture was that I could see the chalk box that the project had drawn for the kids to stand it. I just love his bare feet. I love that his buttons are buttoned all the way to the top.

I love Rahul and I've never met him. I hope to one day.

Until then, I pray for his health, safety, family and most of all, for his salvation.

Would you pray about sponsoring a child? Let me know if you have any questions, I'd love to talk about it with anyone who is interested.

If you already do sponsor with Compassion, I'd love to hear about your child!

0 comments: