Thursday, August 26, 2010

Book Review!

Picking Dandelions: A Search for Eden Among Life's Weeds


I'm not sure how or when I first heard of Sarah Cunningham. It might have been on Anne's or Jon's blog. Either way, when Sarah announced a Summer blog tour, I jumped on the chance. Within a few days of signing up, I received my own copy of Sarah's latest book compliments of Zondervan.

I had the chance to either write a review or submit a list of questions for Sarah to answer interview style. After reading the book, I wish I had sent her a list of questions because it's going to be hard to review the book without a ton of excerpts! Don't worry Sarah, I'll do my best to not give too much away!

Most days I read her book while on my lunch break in a crowded break room. Sarah's writing style made reading the book feel like she was sitting right next to me as I read and ate my Lean Cuisine. Almost every day someone would ask me what I was reading because it looked like I was really enjoying it...and I was!

I couldn't help but relate to most of her stories recounting her life growing up with parents in vocational ministry. I loved that as I flipped the pages, I could really see her perspective on life quickly broadening. The first time she transitioned from a private Christian school to public.... somewhat accidentally choosing a University..... falling in love with all things urban which led her to serve in shelters and homeless ministries.....

But my favorite stories in the book are the ones when she reminisces about heading to New York City days after September 11th, 2001. She made me think about the days after that tragedy from a completely different perspective. Her eye witness stories were at times painful but full of truth.

"I'm convinced God was there somewhere too, browsing about the tents and the conversations, reuniting with people He had not talked to in ages and lapping up quality time with the others before the moment passed and our to-do lists invited us back into oblivion, to routine tasks like picking up dry cleaning and washing our cars."

One important thing to note, is that this book is a memoir. It's not, "How to Find Eden Among Life's Weeds." After I finished the book, I felt that Sarah's stories will truly help anyone looking for encouragement in their own search for Eden. Thanks Sarah for the opportunity to read your latest book! I look forward to your future writings.

Here's a picture of Sarah. Doesn't she just look fun? Love all those bright colors girl!

She also asked that I give 3 book recommendations as a part of this review. So in no particular order, here are my picks!


0 comments: