Sunday, May 09, 2010

Happy Mothers Day



Everyone has always told me that I look just like my dad. One time someone who knew me but had never met my dad, told me later that when they met him, their first thought was that my hands were the same as his. I've just always been a "little Brad."

Unfortunately, most of my life I've been a nail biter. It's true and ridiculous. I don't get it. In the last few weeks though, I've miraculously managed to grow real nails. The kind of nails that are long enough to be manicured and polished. The ladies at the salon aren't impressed with them, but if they knew how big of a deal it was, then they might give me a discount!

As the weeks have gone by, my nails have grown longer and they started to change. I don't know how to describe it, other than saying that one day I looked down at my hands and realized that I have my mother's nails. They grow beautifully until this certain length and then they start to....ripple like a wave. It's kind of weird. And what's funny is that I can remember from a young age thinking that my mom's nails were a little different too. She has always kept her nails at a medium length and now I know why!

To this day, my mom likes to give her self a manicure on Saturday nights for church the next day. When I was little she would give me a manicure in hopes that I would stop biting my nails. Well I finally did and I'm so happy to have something of my mothers......not exactly the most obvious thing, but her's nonetheless. Next time we're together Mom, will you give me a manicure like the old days?

2 comments:

Amy Sue said...

I'd be delighted to give you a manicure. Sorry about passing on the poor nail genes. I think I have my dad's fingernails. I love you sweet daughter of mine.

Elizabeth said...

This post just makes me smile. I love you - and your mom. And reading this it reminds me how much I love my mom. I don't have my mom's nails, but I have her hands - sometimes it startles me to look down and see my mom's hands! It reminds me of what it felt like to be 10 and to sit in church next to her and look down at her hands.