Friday, October 09, 2009

Kumari

I've blogged about the Kumari (Living Goddess of Nepal) before, but today I wanted to tell you about the documentary I just finished watching. Here's a synopsis from the Living Goddess website:

"Living Goddess follows the lives of three young girls who are worshipped as living deities in the Himalayan Kingdom of Nepal. The film begins as a sublime elegy to a private world of ritual, devotion and childish mischief. However, the extraordinary lives of these girls soon collides irreversibly with the modern world: an out-of-touch King, who survived the notorious palace massacre of 2001, wrests power for himself as a Maoist led civil war rages. Defying the King, ordinary people take to the streets demanding freedom, only to be confronted by the might of the King's army.

Caught in this whirlwind struggle for power, the story unfolds through the eyes of the child goddesses. The violence in the street slowly imposes on this historic way of life as the filmmakers capture powerful footage made possible by their unprecedented access to the private rituals and daily life of an ancient tradition."
(This trailer is rated PG-13 for violence


I not only enjoyed the documentary, but I learned quite a bit! For example, I had no idea that there were 3 Living Goddesses. I thought there was only 1 and that she lived in Kathmandu. The documentary begins just a few months after I left Nepal, so it was very eye opening to see how quickly things escalated a few months later.

I have a very special place in my heart for Nepal and I often wonder and ask the Lord why that is. Am I supposed to live and minister there or am I supposed to be an advocate for them here? I've heard through the grapevine that there are many Nepalese and Bhutanese refugees that have moved to the USA.

Even though I know that maybe 1 or 2 of you will seek this film out and watch it, I highly recommend taking a quick trip to Nepal through the eyes of this documentary filmmaker.


1 comments:

Shannon said...

Wow! That is intriguing. I'm sure it is even more fascinating knowing that it picks up right after you were there. Thanks for sharing!