Monday, July 13, 2009

Adventures in Job Hunting (Part 3)

It's been 3 years since I've looked for a job. Let me tell you, a lot has changed. Here are the problems I'm running into:

-I e-mail my resume and then never hear back from them. Is anyone reading my resume? Hello out there! If I could get paid to apply for jobs, I wouldn't need one.

-Want more information on this job? You must set up an online profile first. Be prepared to spend at least 30 minutes typing the information on your resume into separate data boxes. Add 10 more minutes if you have to do any kind of an assessment.

-SCAMS! As if our unemployed hearts were not sensitive enough, there are companies out there that want to waste our time by baiting us with jobs that don't exist. Why? I've learned that if the job posting is too good to be true or if the company is "confidential," don't bother.

-If you are fortunate to get a human on the phone while following up on a job, you will only be asked to leave your information so the receptionist can "pass it on to the Human Resource Manager." I don't think she is even writing anything down while I'm reciting my information. She just throws in a few "uh-huhs" in there to make me feel like she is actually going to help.

-Then there was the fiasco I had last week with an employer. All I'll say is that I drove 45 minutes to be subjected to a 6 page math test (no calculators allowed) only to be told that I wasn't even qualified for the position in the first place. It wasn't a total loss though. I got to keep the neon green "Florida Cares" pencil.

All joking aside, I could really use your prayers for a job!
(and apparently a better attitude and patience while I wait)

10 comments:

Dannah said...

Andrea, I will be praying for your job hunt. I am one of the people on the other end of those resumes and I can say from experience, depending on the job listed, they can get hundreds of resumes. I imagine it is even more right now. Sometimes I hate being on the HR side of it. Unfortunately it is easy to become heartless. Reading you post is made me realize I need to be more compassionate when I get those phones call. I am sure if someone really gets a hold of your resume they would be crazy not to hire you. When I moved to TX it took me 6 weeks to find a job. While that isn't a long time really, it was the longest I'd been without one. I kept second guessing what I had done moving here. Well the job I found was a perfect fit for me and they have been so good to me. I know it's hard to hear when you are on that side of it but something will open up for you and it will be great. You have so much to offer. Glad you at least got to keep that pencil! :-)

Andrea said...

Thanks for your kind words Dannah. I'll just start imagining that all of these HR people are as nice as you are! :)

Beckie said...

I think that employers should be legally required to respond to an e-mail or even a mailed resume. Just a little note or phone call saying you actually received it would do a world of good.

Hang in there!

erin said...

Came here by way of Annie's blog, and I completely relate to this entry. I am only a week or so into my search but have already experienced some of the same frustrations you write about here. I said a prayer that God would send the right job your way!

a fool full of tired grace... said...

Hi! I'm here via the Annie. It's so good to meet you! Lets be friends!

I just have to tell you, I finished my masters in December and still don't have a "real" job (I'm a nanny right now, and a lot of people don't consider that work, you know?)
So I completely understand you and I will fervently be praying for both of us.
God is good!

a fool full of tired grace... said...

o, opps. I forgot to introduce myself... I'm Grace. :)

Kimberly said...

Praying for your job hunt (Annie sent me :)

Bluebelle said...

I just clicked the link on Annie's blog, she linked to your post about some friends' wedding in Nepal so I got really excited and had to come read! I commented on that one but then realised that it was from last year so had another go!

I used to live in Nepal too! My parents were missionaries (with INF) and we went out when I was 3 and came back to England when I was 9. We lived in Pokhara. Are you still in Nepal?

I'm so excited to see your blog, I'm adding you to my reader right now!

crispy said...

I remember praying for you the last time you were looking for a job. We will pray again.

Andrea said...

Thanks Cris! That was almost 3 years ago....