Monday, June 22, 2009

Ron or Don



Before I left Nepal, I bought a patch for every country I had been to and had them sewn on to my favorite backpack. At the time it felt like something really cool to do. Now it feels a little obnoxious.

Today I was cleaning out this backpack and found the scrap of paper pictured above shoved way down inside one of the pocket corners.

At first, I had no idea how old this paper was....that is until I actually read it. You see, I don't recall a "Don" or "Ron" ever giving me his phone numbers, but I do know that the only place that I've been to that used 6 digit numbers is.....you guessed it, Nepal. A short time after I moved there, the government forced everyone to start adding another number to every existing phone number. I think it was a 3 in front or something like that. Yes, it was as confusing as it sounds! (only in Nepal right?)

I'm left wondering, who was this guy?

Why did I need to have both of his numbers?

Was this a love connection that I totally forgot about?
(I think we all know the answer to that one)

How has this scrap of paper been hidden for so long?
(not to mention machine washed several times)

So Ron/Don, if you are reading, I'm so sorry that I never called you at home OR your office. I guess we'll never know what could have been.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

I hope you all can read the sarcasm in this post....otherwise you might think I'm ridiculous!

Mayfield Journeys said...

Okay here is what I think!! I think it is Ron because wasn't there some tall Ron guy somewhere overseas that we met one time with blond hair who was a bit on the odd side and single? It could have been India numbers. Oh and I laughed SO hard about us sowing on those stupid badges. I was just thinking about those the other day and thought...why did we think that was cool? We were such dorks. And of course now we are much more sophisticated and grown up! HA!

Sara said...

I was wondering if you Ron who helped start the coffee shop was still there when you came and if it was him. I actually thought it looked like his handwriting...but you may not have had that bag that early on. So, that is who I thought of!!

jesserae said...

Let me clear the air and remind you of who Ron is...

He was one of the many many men who approached you, flirted, and then sadly gave you his number only to be stuffed inside your "patches" bag and forgotten. You are such a heart breaker Andrea.