Sunday, April 12, 2009

A Visit to the Abbey

After a really rough week in the dorm.....I was more than ready to get out of town. Thankfully, I had already been invited to spend the weekend with the Snyders! I'm so thankful that we had this planned. I had no idea how much I needed to get out of town.

On Friday afternoon, I met Emily in Elizabethtown and we headed to the Abbey of Gethsemani about an hour away. Emily had already been, but when I heard about the monastery in this book, we decided to attend Good Friday mass. Unfortunately, the weather was so volatile....it actually fit the emotions of Good Friday. I had hoped to take a ton of pictures, but that's hard to do while you are running in the rain and sharing an umbrella.



Here are a few of my pictures combined with a few from the Abbey's website. We sat in the back and it was a really interesting experience. The inside of the Abbey is so simple, yet beautiful. The ceilings were so tall and because of the storms outside, the candle light was perfect. There were several opportunities to kneel as we prayed and let me just tell you, there is nothing like it. I don't know about you, but I rarely kneel. For me, kneeling is just a reminder of worship, respect, and just being humble before the Lord.

We didn't make it through the entire mass, but we snuck out quietly as everyone was lining up to head to the front for communion.



The rest of the weekend was spent:
-catching up on sleep
-having a much anticipated Thai night (more to come on this later)
-watching The Office and 7 Pounds
-driving around in the country
-shopping for Easter outfit accessories
-trying out new places to eat
-laughing a lot

Thanks Emily and Dusty for a wonderful weekend!

0 comments: