Saturday, March 21, 2009

I Told You So

The highlight of my Spring Break was spending a few hours at a spa a couple of towns away. After all that pampering, I had worked up an appetite. So I picked a restaurant that I don't get to eat at very often. The 'ville doesn't have much to offer.

I don't particularly love eating by myself, but every once in a while I actually enjoy it. I love to people watch and this experience did not disappoint. There was a lady in her seventies sitting alone in a booth across from mine reading a book and eating a salad. When Carrie Underwood's song, "I Told You So" came on over the radio, the booth lady stopped reading and started listening intently to the song. She had this confused look on her face as she listened to the verse, but when the chorus started, she started quietly singing along. It's like she didn't recognize the song until the chorus, but then she knew every word!

"I told you so, oh I told you so.
I told you some day you'd come crawling back and asking me to take you in.
I told you so, but you had to go.
Now I found somebody new and you will never break my heart in two again."

Booth lady was really getting in to it. I was a little surprised that she would know every word to a Carrie Underwood song. She continued through the rest of the song, mouthing the words with her eyes closed. It was obvious she had memories attached to the song.

I'm happy to report that the day came full circle as I was watched American Idol later that night. Apparently, Randy Travis had a hit back in 1988 with "I Told You So." So maybe that's why the Booth Lady new every word?

Here is a video of Carrie performing the song at the Grand Ole Opry last year.

1 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I just love when you share these peeks into your world... I can SO picture you sitting there and picture her singing along. So glad that you had a fun day to yourself during Spring Break! And now that Spring Break has ended the REAL countdown has begun. :)