Saturday, May 31, 2008

How much can you handle???

Ok, so the hard part about having a blog that a few people actually read, is this....how much do I share with you? I mean, let's face it. I'm a pretty open person, and if you've been around me for very long, you will soon find out that I'll usually tell you anything you want to know. This is a quality that I have a love/hate relationship with.

Some blogs that I read are just too vague...then some are filled with too much information about the author, but it makes me feel like I can totally connect with them. I never set out for this blog to be a journal...just kind of a way to record my life, thoughts and etc.

With that said...I'll do my best to share what God has been doing in my life without going all TMI on you.

I've been reading a great book recently. The minute I saw it, I knew I had to read it. I've had it for a couple of months now and it's just been staring at me from my nightstand next to my great grandmother's lamp. I finally picked it up this week and let me just tell you....it has been revolutionary for where I am right now in my life. Have you ever been praying for something...for a V-E-R-Y long time? Well I sure have. Haven't we all?

The Holy Spirit infused the words of this author to let me know that I had been praying all wrong when it came to this situation. I've been praying "if" prayers for years! They go a little something like this....

Lord I don't know if it's your plan....or if it's your will......if you could just let me know either way then I could move on...

I've been asking the Lord for an answer...but have been doubting at the same time. It's not that I didn't believe he could give me what I've been asking for, it's just that I have been praying all this time not thinking that He actually would give it.

This book has just been so helpful in pointing out that my prayers have been faithless requests for something that I wasn't even sure it was ok to want. I have now not only acknowledged my hopes, but I am choosing to actively pursue them.

My petitions have changed.

I don't know His timeline, but I believe that what I'm asking for is good and is meant to bring Him glory.

The important thing to take away is that there has to be some faith behind our prayers. I know this might seem elementary to some...but I sure needed to be reminded of it again. No more "ifs" from this gal!

(in case you really want to know details, just email me and I'll spill them)

3 comments:

crispy said...

I love when God speaks right to our hearts to cause us to be the person He wants us to be. Sounds like the book has been a great encouragment and inspiration.

I am eager to see where He is taking you. Enjoy the journey.

Elizabeth said...

Interesting thoughts... would love to chat more about them and find out the name of the book you're reading... sounds like one I might need to read. Can we arrange the "spilling of the details" by phone rather than email? School is over now so my day is more flexible.

Oh yeah... I'm curious as to where my blog falls on your vague/TMI continuum. :)

Sanders said...

Thanks for sharing, I needed to be reminded of that too.