Monday, March 17, 2008

Savannah Update

It's been a while since I've updated everyone on my Little, Savannah. We've had a hard time the last couple of weeks getting together. For 4 weeks in a row, I wasn't able to see her. She was testing, had a Valentines Party, and 2 snow days. I was finally able to speak with her teacher and we agreed on a better time for me to come.

Savannah's homework load seems to have increased significantly in the last couple of weeks, so it seems like every week she brings homework with her. It's been hard to find a balance between helping her with her homework and doing fun stuff like reading books or painting nails.

Here's some news (some funny, some not) from the last time I updated you.

* On Savannah's birthday, I was allowed to get her some small presents. I got her Hannah Montanta everything....a book, t-shirt and guitar shaped bobby pins. She liked it all, except she asked if she could use the bobby pins for bookmarks. Whatever floats her boat!

*She informed me that her mom's boyfriend decided that he shouldn't marry Savannah's mom because she's been married 3 previous times before and "in the eyes of God, that's not Christian-like!" For now, they've decided that living together is the best option. How they've rationalized that in the eyes of God, I'm not sure.

*Savannah's student teacher, is my friend and former RA, Claryssa. It's been nice knowing that Savannah has another Godly influence in her daily life.

*I had a chance to meet Savannah's mom and her mom's boyfriend. They were just how I imagined them. They asked to meet me, which is a good sign....I suppose. The first thing her mom asked was if I could babysit Savannah during the summer. Thankfully the guidance counselor interrupted and let Sav's mom know that this was a school based program only.

* Last but not least, Savannah told me that when she was one, her baby brother was taken by the state and that he now "lives with another family that adopted him." I have no idea why she brought this up, or if it is even true. If this is true why would CPS take one child, but leave the other? I've never heard of that.

My Savannah ministry continues....slowly. Your prayers are much appreciated!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't really think you know me, but I graduated from CU in May, and ran across your blog one day online. That's so awesome that you are volunteering for BBBS. I work for them, and we are always in need of volunteers. As a Christian myself, I think its great that you are able to be a Christian influence on your Little!

Anonymous said...

I know I don't comment ever but I check you blog all the time. I love your new design at the top and just so you know...Stash tea has a GREAT website with some really cool tea pots.

Sarah Kelley