Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Jump in the van!

I returned home from Christmas in Florida, only to repack for an impromptu trip to Washington, DC. Remember the ONE Campus Challenge I've been telling you about? Well, this leg of the challenge ended, and our University ended up #3 in the Nation!

Unfortunately, I didn't snag a ticket to the actual Power 100 Summit (I'm not bitter at all...wink wink) , but I did score a seat in the minivan headed East.

5 Adults, 1 Baby, and many hours later, we arrived in chilly DC. Our Nation's capital is pretty self explanatory, so I'll just get to the pictures.




The Smithsonian Natural History Museum




A few sights around town while we were walking our frozen legs off.



World War II Memorial




I decided to take a picture of every State I had lived in....I'm pretty sure that's all of them.



The Korean War Memorial, The Smithsonian Castle, Lincoln Memorial, Jefferson Memorial,





Thanks to John's recent internship with Condoleezza Rice, he knew all the hot spots in DC, including Chinatown. I could have wandered around for hours! We had a yummy lunch and the Chinese dumplings were my favorite. I highly recommend Jackey's Cafe.



Our last stop in DC was the one and only thing that was on my to do list the whole week. I'm not sure what to even say about my experience at the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. Bottome line, every person needs to visit this place in their lifetime. I'm not trying to be dramatic. I learned so much and could sit for hours talking about it with you. I had heard that it was an emotional experience, and in a way had psyched myself up to keep it together and not cry. Well that lasted about 2 minutes.

I was just shocked at the amount of artifacts that were all in one place. My favorite part of the whole experience though, was listening to and watching survivor testimony. Hearing them talk about making their minds up to be determined to live, no matter the cost....left me amazed. Their words were gripping, raw and transparent.

At the end of the exhibit, there is a huge section of the museum dedicated to the genocide happening in Darfur right now as you read this. I think as Americans there are always hundreds of hot topics and issues floating around. I might be overstepping here, but I feel like there are some who join a cause without even knowing if it is worthy. I've heard of the situation in Darfur for a long time, but had never taken the time to become educated. A new day has come and now consider myself informed. Sudan, Darfur and Chechnya have reached the crisis level. There are things that we can do, but the first step is getting informed. I'll even make it easy for you. CLICK HERE!

Can't make it to DC anytime soon? Check out these Traveling and Online Exhibits.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks once again for the virtual tour of DC. That's one place I'd like to go back to see and explore.
asb