Sunday, July 01, 2007



Ask anyone who knows me well, and they will tell you that I've always adored Princess Diana. As far back as I can remember, I loved seeing her in the news, and in magazines. Maybe it was because she was a real life Princess? I remember my mom telling me that we had watched their Royal Wedding together in the middle of the night during one of my feedings as a newborn. My mom recalls rocking and feeding me, as she watched this shy young woman be catapulted into infamy.

I've heard a lot of great things about Diana. I've also heard some very sad things. But today as I devoured all 5 hours of the concert her sons put on in her memory, I couldn't help but hope she is in heaven. How can someone exhibit the very hands and feet of Christ and not know Him? I love it that she touched and hugged the untouchable. She spotlighted and loved the very souls that society at the time wanted to discard and forget. She touched those with HIV/AIDS, Leprosy, mental handicaps, missing limbs from landmines...

I'm not suggesting we idolize her or worship her. I just wanted to share a bit about why I admire her life. Wouldn't it be great if the Princes came to know Christ and expanded her legacy in that way?
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Watching her wedding in the wee hours of the morning is a very special memory that I'm happy I shared with you, even tho you were only 5 months old. Just another reminder that we never know how long our life will last. We must make every day count. Mom

Hillenblog's Wife said...

Andrea, i collected everything i could get my hands on about diana from age 12 to about 38. then i sold all my books in a garage sale. I have only one book left, a gift from Skyler. I totally wish I had held onto all of them. I do have the scrapbooks I made myself tho. I could tell you everything about the night she died, what i was doing, how sad I was, all of it. And the biggest saddness was thinking,she most likely isn't in heaven. You are right, it is hard to believe she could be so loving toward the "unlovely" as the world sees them, and not know the One who makes us lovely. I have heard a story that a missionary in London met a woman resting on a bench in Kensington Garden one day and gave her a tract(how ever you spell it)and she said she would read it. Only after her death did he realize it was Diana. Who knows? True or not? I don't know, but I hope so.

Beckie said...

Andrea, when I read your blog I feel like we could be great friends. I watched the Matt Lauer interview with the Princes and found myself in awe of this wonderful woman. The boys spoke about their mother with such reverence. I'm sad that I missed the concert. Beckie (jessica's cousin)