Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Understanding Art

My new professor's last name is a commonly used herb for cooking. We'll call her Mrs. Cilantro, ok? The minute I saw her, I couldn't wait to blog about her.

First off, she's almost 80 yrs old. You can tell just by looking at her that she is a true artist. Neck to ankle, she was covered in a purple, flower embroidered pant suit. Sitting on her desk was a purse that was probably purchased while vacationing in Mexico City with her husband in the seventies. It was straw and had a rainbow of yarn flowers as decoration.

Her hair is silver, shoulder-length, and not one of those "once a week" hairdo's. Her black eyebrows and olive skin tone hint at what a beauty she was back in the day. BOLD is the word that comes to mind when I think of her accessory choices. She was wearing matching red lipstick and nail polish. All of her jewelry oozed of vintage goodness. Her earrings were big, purple and chandelier style. She was wearing probably 6 rings on only 2 fingers. To complete her look, she had on bright green sandals with her red polished toes peaking out.

So maybe this required art class won't be as boring as I initially had thought? Part of our grade will be turning in a full sketch book. Ask any of my friends, and they will all tell you that I cannot draw. I can't even make bubble letters look right.

Stay tuned, this should be an interesting 8 weeks...

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love people of interest. Especially those who "know" who they are and aren't slaves to "trendy fashion". I can see her in my mind and can't wait to hear more! It's a shame you can't write in your sketch book. You create quite the picture with your words. You're an artist in your own way.
mom