Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Whoever you would've been

I heard a really sad song today. "Happy Birthday" is a song from a hip hop group Flipsyde. It's a heartbreaking look into the lead vocalist's (The Piper) struggles as a post-abortive father. In this song he wonders if his child would have been a boy or a girl, good at math, or a rapper like him. You can listen to the song here.

Here's a portion of the lyrics:

I got a million excuses
As to why you died
And other people got their own reasons For homicide
Who's to say it would have worked
Who's to say it wouldn't have
I was young and struggling
But old enough to be a dad ...

I think about it every year
So I picked up a pen,
Happy Birthday
I love you
whoever you would've been

This is in no way an endorsement for this group, he references several things I disagree with. But I couldn't help wanting to listen to it over and over again.

He is so painfully transparent with his lyrics..so real....so sad.

0 comments: