Thursday, January 11, 2007

Like Manna from Heaven


One of my new students here in the dorms is from Nepal. She literally is fresh off the plane! She is an absolutely precious young lady who was in high school while I was in Nepal. And even better, she went to the school that was across the street from my flat! When I was telling her about where my flat was, she knew my road! It was funny how quickly I fell back into the habit of giving directions by landmarks. My road was the one with the trash pile at the end, and had all those lazy policeman (we call them speed bumps here) !

Saturday, I have another Nepalese student coming.....how crazy is this planet? How awesome is the Lord's hand in our lives? I come to Kentucky only to meet someone who I passed on the streets of Kathmandu on a weekly basis!

And then as I was whipping out my rusty Nepalese language skills, she reaches into her bag and offers me Nepali Wai Wai noodles. I know they are only instant noodles to some, but to me, it was like manna from Heaven! Wai Wai noodles are the most popular snack food in Nepal. We used to eat them straight from the package, or cooked them in boiling water. Unlike ordinary Top Ramen noodles here in the US, Wai Wai noodles are pre-cooked, pre-seasoned, and fried before packaging. Each package includes tiny packets of chili powder for an extra kick, masala (seasonings), and onion oil. She says she hates Wai Wai (which is usually unheard of), but her aunt stuffed her suitcases with them.

As I sit here in Kentucky, I feel closer to Nepal then I have in a very long time.
Posted by Picasa

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh that men would praise the LORD for HIS goodness, and for HIS wonderful works to the children of men!PS 107:8 asb