Sunday, August 27, 2006

Welcome to the USA!

Last night I joined 299 other people at UMKC for the International Student Welcome Picnic at the University Playhouse.

Here's the breakdown of the 300 (give or take a few):
-220 First year International Students from all over the world (80 were from India alone)
-74University staff, ISI staff, American Friendship partners, and etc.
-5 members of the band playing "traditional" American songs a.k.a anything Elvis
-me

I had so much fun! Once again realizing that I feel more at home in a group of Internationals than I do anywhere in America. I chatted it up with mostly South Asian women, who were quite impressed that I wrote my own name in Sanskrit on my name tag. It was funny to see them do a double take. Can I tell you how much something little can go a long way?

Good conversation with someone just arriving in the USA is key. And let me tell you, these folks are brilliant. Everyone that I met were in the US working on either their PhD, or their Masters. The women I met were studying Electrical Engineering and Computer Science!

It was great to make connections with both Internationals, and some new friends from church. Who knew that I would go to UMKC and meet people from my church who are so likeminded?

I would also like to give a shout out to my roomate extraoidinaire for letting me borrow her big Tupperware and Pampered Chef bowls to serve my dishes in. Does anyone else feel a little bit more popular when they pick up an empty dish after a potluck?
 Posted by Picasa

1 comments:

Lacey said...

Woo Woo! Anything I can do to help roomie! Glad your dishes were such a hit. I noticed you brought me no leftovers...